Friday, May 6, 2011

Rewards




After getting the “Thumbs Up” from Sam, the next step was finding airline tickets to India.  Given gas prices lately I wanted to buy them sooner than later.
I searched around and found possible flights but felt uneasy about long layovers in Germany alone.  After rereading the information packet Dani had mailed me months ago I found a referral to a travel agency that booked Rising Star Volunteers trip.  I contacted them asking if there were any seats available with the other members of Session 2.
They replied back with a full Intenery and asked that I respond in 24 hours if I wanted to accept it.
I looked it over and liked the thought of a lay over in London over Germany and I knew I’d meed up with other Volunteers there in London.
I replied back saying:
“looks great.”
The next day I was on the phone with my mom booking her flights out here.  We got on the topic of frequent flyer miles and she asked if my American Express Reward points could be used toward airline tickets.  
The travel agent called in on the other line and told me they didn’t issue my tickets the day before because they needed me to put in writing : “CONFIRM TICKETS”  
My email expressing:
 “Looks great!”
 wasn’t enough.  I assured them I would reply promptly to their email in order to secure my flight.
I knew I had reward points but had no idea how many. We have had American Express card for several years but never bothered with the “Rewards.” 
Before I confirmed my tickets I called american express.
Sure enough, they would accept reward points toward my British Airways tickets!  
Before responding to the travel agent, I asked them if they would use my reward points for payment toward my tickets and they told me British Airways do not accept american express reward points...???
Huh?
Instead of continuing with the travel agent  I called American Express and asked them to book the same flight using my rewards.  
A nice lady named Sabrina helped me book the tickets.  She asked me how many reward points I’d like to use.
”Well..I don’t know how many I have.“ I confessed.
”That’s alright, Honey.“  She talked with a southern accent.  ”I’ll check to see if you have enough to cover the tickets“
Soon I heard a slight giggle.
”Honey, it looks like you just booked roundtrip tickets to India on Reward points!!“
”Are you kidding?!“  I was off my chair.
”Girl, you have enough points to book Hotel’s too!“  She laughed.
The two of us rooted and cheered like I had just won the lottery.  I had no idea I had so many reward points!
I couldn’t believe it.  I was totally prepared to fork over $1,885 and I got it for FREE!!!
I had my new best friend, Sabrina, book a few nights in a hotel, again for FREE.   
After that phone call I took a moment to pray and give thanks for another miracle!
My journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment