Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Return to Abraham

This is Vandaloor.
Vandaloor is a leprosy colony.
This is my friend Abraham.
He has leprosy.
I met him last June.
He remembered me
As you can see leprosy has taken it's toll
on my friend in 9 short months.
                                             
                                             June 2011                                                 March 2012
                           
It's as if a decade has passed.
Leprosy attacks the nerves in the feet and hands.
Slowly the face begins to droop 
around the nose and
vision is impaired. 
Abraham has missing toes and fingers.
I can see the biggest change in his eyes.

Last year I could see he was strong.
He took me into his home and prayed for me.
This time he kept more to himself.

I think he's going blind.
I'm sad to see him like this. 
He loves his daughter and grandkids a lot. 
It's odd to feel I know this man like I do.  
We've never exchanged words.
But my heart tells me I know him.
Someday we will find each other and he will
shake my hand, with his perfected hands,
and we will fill in the gaps to our story.

I am glad to have known Abraham.


No comments:

Post a Comment