Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Prayer




Today I went with the Medical Team to a small Leprosy Village about an hour and a half away.  Rising Star has a Medical We load all supplies needed to set up shop in any Leprosy Colony, into a Medical van.  Then we drive to a varity of locations thoughout India everyday to care for Leprosy Afflicted friends.
Sometimes the drive is only an hour away, other times its 3 or 4 hours one way.  When the Rising Star van pulls into a Colony it is a sight to behold.
Small, frail, crippled, HAPPY people come out of the wood work to see Dr. Susan and the Americans.  Each Colony gets a visit at least monthly.  This is the only chance they have to change bandages, clean wounds, or get medication they need.
I have watched a woman crawl into our makeshift hospital because she doesn’t have legs.  A man hop with one leg, and several friends with no fingers or toes.  Being in the same room with them for just a few hours washing and bandaging their wounds is such a great experience.
Most patients don’t speak English but we try to communicate anyway.  They love what Rising Star offers them, and we love what they offer us.
I marvel at the sweet smiles and love they offer in return.  They are grateful to be alive.
Today I met a man named Abraham.  I saw him when he first entered the church.  I noticed he was watching me a lot but I figured it was the nifty video camera I was carrying.  I watched him as I documented the patients and got a sense that he was feeling a bit emotional.  Not weepy but humble.  I could see that his mind was full of thoughts and I wondered what a conversation with him would reveal.  He was very aware of what was going on around him and was even quick to smile and visit with the other Indians waiting a turn.  
After his treatment he returned to the church where we I was standing- holding his 2 grandchildren motioning me to follow him.  I knew he lived across the street because I made friends with his 2 year old grandson when I walked in.  (He won my heart upon arrival)  I followed him to his door and he asked me to go inside.
I took off my shoes and entered his small 2 room cement home.  
His daughter-and mother to the kids- (about 20 years old) was sweeping the floor. I greeted her and she spoke to me in perfect English.  Her father pointed to the several framed pictures of Jesus on the wall and then placed his hands warmly over his heart.  His eyes were tender and kind.  
I think he was telling me he believed in, and loved, Jesus.
I pointed to the same pictures and put my hands over my heart and said “Me too!”
He said something to his daughter and she translated to me, “My father would like to pray for you.”
What that would entail was a mystery to me so I nodded yes, then waited to see what would happen next.
He revently raised his nubed hands to the ceiling and began praying out loud.  I bowed my head and closed my eyes and listened to every sound that he uttered.
I obviously don’t know what he said but I was moved by his emotion.  He was a man of God.
I could tell that it was important to him to have an American inside his home.  And I feel honored that he chose me to be there and to pray with him.  This man has no fingers and no toes, but he gave a lot to me.  He shared his home and his HAPPY family with me.  His family felt a lot like my family.  They had Jesus in their lives and they were Grateful!
Abraham

No comments:

Post a Comment