Sunday, July 10, 2011

Saying Good-Bye





(~written at the London airport)
Friday Night we said our good-byes to the Rising Star kids.  It was the dreaded moment we were all expecting the day we we said “Hello.”  Over the 3 weeks personalities emerged from their sweet faces that were once impossible to tell apart.  Now, on the last day, names and faces are branded into our hearts.  How could we ever forget them?
Saturday morning luggage and volunteers loaded the vans and we were once again at the airport being hustled around like a herd of animals...not like the “Holy Cow”, mind you.  Perhaps, more like sheep. :)
I sat in the Chennai airport early in the morning in a terminal filled with other Indians, and watched a devout group of Muslims kneel and pray facing West when the clock struck 5am.  I admire their dedication to God.  It reminded me that I failed to offer my own prayer last night and this morning because I haven’t slept yet.  Poor excuse, here they are in the airport on their knees, and I bet they made their travel arrangements around this sacred time as to mot miss it.
One thing I enjoyed seeing in India is a devotion to God.  It’s seen in so many ways.  Very different from where I come from but it’s so refreshing to see it in any form.  I love to see the light in Christ in all people, especially when we are so different.  I also saw a great deal of Idol worship.  (not so warm and fuzzy)
Time and time again skin color, clothing, and language separated me from the people in India, but when they would point to the Heavens and place a hand over their heart I understood them and I understood we are the same.  God knows them just like he knows me.  I witnessed that!
Today I was a minority in the Chennai airport.  My hair color stood out, my clothes weren’t right and my skin color could be seen across the room.  It’s been this way for a few weeks.  I boarded the plane excited to be returning home.
Every baby that cried in the plane was music to my ears but pricked my heart at the same time.  It hurts to think that my baby could be crying and I’m not there to love her.  I can’t wait to return to my family!  Being this close is torture.  
My 10 hour flight to London was dreamy...literally.  I fell asleep before the seatbelt sign turned off and woke up 2 hours before landing.  It couldn’t have been better.
I walked through the London terminal with huge smile on my face.  Although I'm not in America yet, I felt a had returned home.  White faces are everywhere, not a speck of trash on the ground.  All my senses are magnified.  I could SEE beauty, SMELL the air, FEEL the cleanliness, and HEAR English!!
I'm closer to home!
India is behind me today, but not forgotten.  Experiencing something like I did can't be forgotten.  Especially when I took over 3500 pictures.  My objective in India was to capture the Rising Star experience and share it with the world.
During my last night at Rising Star we said our goodbyes and I was walking away from them for the final time.  I panned across their Hostel (house where they all sleep) with my video camera, and then noticed the moon.  I carried the shot up to the moon and then my camera shut off.  "No recordable space" it beeped at me.  My camera was full!
How amazing that I captured all the footage I needed right up to the very last second of my experience!  Chills ran through my body as I stood alone outside and listened to the chatter of the kids inside getting ready for bed.
My story was complete!  
I've realized I can save the World by meaning the WORLD to just one.  That's just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment