Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Taj Mahal





Once in my life I experienced a dream come true.  That was marrying a boy from next door that I had my eye on from age 16.
I really wanted to marry him and I waited patiently for that day to arrive.
The night he put a ring on my finger I knew I was living a dream.
My 2 day trip to Agra India is making the list of another dream come true. (making 2 in total)
I’m not sure I will be able to express with words what that experience was like.  
The difference here is I wasn’t expecting this dream but as I experienced it I couldn’t believe it was happening.
The setting: Taj Mahal in Agra, India
We loaded the bus at 5:30am to “beat the crowds” and the HEAT at the Taj Mahal.  I didn’t have any expectations for the visit.  I was just excited to be at a World Wonder with my CAMERA!!!  When I entered the gate I was swept away by it’s beauty.  She’s huge!  I got giddy, like I always do when I see a good photo opportunity, and whipped out my camera.  With an object like the Taj Mahal you can’t really go wrong with photos but inside I felt a little gipped because I knew I wasn’t going to get great photos of ME and the Taj.
Just as soon as I felt sorry for myself our Tour guide, Ramesh asked if I wanted him to take a photo of me.  I was so thankful for that!  
He took me away from the crowds and took some shots with my camera.  
As he was taking the pictures I realized he knew what he was doing with my camera, which was so refreshing!  I have attempted to have friends use my camera to take photos of me but they never turn out, so I stopped asking and came to grips with the fact that I wasn’t going to be in any photos.
Ramesh made my day!  (Not that having my picture taken makes my day, but having someone who KNOWS how to take photos, take a picture of me and the TAJ MAHAL when otherwise I wouldn’t have any...made my day!)
It’s so frustrating to be a photographer and have your photo taken.  I have my expectation of what I want and expect and I almost never get those results back.
Ramesh delivered!

After my own photo shoot, I took it upon myself to take fun pictures of everyone else and loved it!  I could have stayed there ALL day taking pictures.  I must have shown my excitement because a little skinny man (think Aladdin) appeared by my side and quietly said; “Miss..come...you take nice picture”  he walked away keeping his head to me like a dog does while playing catch.
It took me a second to understand what he was doing so he called back to me with urgency: “Come quick...you get great photo!”
I started following him wondering if I understood what he was doing.  He lead me to a particular spot and pointed with his toe exactly where I should stand to take a photo.  I obeyed and aimed at the Taj and gave an audible gasp!  This shot was amazing!

I became nervous.  What if I don’t focus right?  
“Come...quick!”  He demanded again.  He walked a few feet away and knelt down on the floor next to a pillar.  “Here...nice shot!”
Again I fell in line and another beautiful picture revealed itself.





Now I became suspicious.  Why isn’t anyone else over here taking photos?  Why is he in such a hurry?  And most importantly, Why is he showing ME these spots?
He gave me a few more seconds to get a good shot then nervously walked back toward the crowds.
I returned in a bit of a stupor.  
What just took place?  Then I was filled with gratitude.  How did this man know ME of ALL people would be interested in “nice shot?”
I decided right then that God was aware of me at that moment!  I never expressed out loud my desires for photography that day, but He knew my heart and answered my plea.
I’ll admit I got a bit emotional as I returned to the group, I couldn’t believe what just happened.  The man was gone.

About 15 min later during our guided tour my little photo genie appeared at my side.
“Here...”  He pointed a few feet away on the ground and then in the direction I should aim the camera.
I reacted quickly this time and the game continued.


Come...quick...” he repeated keeping his voice soft.
This went on as I moved further and further away from my group.
There came a time when I couldn’t see them at all.
Do I continue to follow genie or return to my group?
He was so sly at diverting me away without others hearing or following I started wondering if this skinny man had something up his sleeve.
But then I would push those thoughts aside and gamble for a few more “Nice shot!”
“Hand me Camera” he said matter of fact as he took it out of my hands.
“You kneel here”
He set himself into a position and began taking shots of me along the reflection pool in-front of the Taj.
Returning the camera he instructed “Now you go”
I replaced him and began taking my own shots.  Again, audible gasp!




“You very lucky...great sun today...come quick!”
We played leap frog all over the grounds.  




Finally I had to stop.


“Sir, Thank you so much, but I need to return to my group!”  I put my camera away and pulled out some money.What do you tip for something like this?
“2 American dollars?” he said, as if he read my thoughts.
Are you MAD?” I shouted! ( only in my thoughts)I gave him all the American money I had, which was only $3 and then a handful of Rupees.  I wish I had more.  I wanted to pay him a lot.  Again, my photo genie was gone and I returned to my group with priceless treasures in my camera!




Maybe it was that I was in my element photographing the Taj Mahal?  Maybe it was the Taj itself?  I don’t know what it was but I will treasure my experience forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment