Friday, July 8, 2011

What I've learned...




This is my last day in India.  For the past 20 days I have been removed from all things normal and comfortable and placed in a world of differences and uncertainty.  I felt the best way to survive such a big culture change is to open your heart, swallow your pride and learn from the people.  Once I accepted the fact that I was going to make mistakes the learning started right away.
I didn’t understand many things so I slowed down and watched.  There were times when the little ones laughed at me.  There were times when I laughed at myself, too.  Sometimes I felt very awkward and knew I was doing something socially wrong according to their culture but totally acceptable to mine.  I didn’t have the knowledge to know how to fix it though.  After some time things began to come together.
I’ve heard people say India changes you.  I agree, it defiantly will.  But I had a hard time understanding why people were saying India is so beautiful.  I looked really hard to see why they would say that but only saw junk and poverty.
One day on a LONG bus ride I began to understand.
My thoughts started off in the direction of, “Why would anyone come to India?”  Unless you’re here to do Humanitarian work I can’t see any other reason.
To me, India is NOT a destination for leisure vacation.  It’s just a hodgepodge of buildings, people, and garbage.
I came to India to serve with Rising Star Outreach, which brought me into colonies, villages, and huts that I would not otherwise have access to.  I came to give- not receive, and ironically enough I’m walking away with much more than I came with.
Perhaps people come to India because of what India does to them inside.  It takes stepping over the trash,  seeing beyond the chaos and looking deep within to experience India.  
In India your clothes don’t define your wealth, and your address doesn’t rank your status.  You are who you are right now at this moment because RIGHT NOW is what life is about.
When your in India you have nothing to give that is of true worth, unless you are giving of yourself.  You can give the begging children money but it won’t fix anything and they move on to the next American they see and beg for more.  You can clean up all the garbage, only to see it pile up again when you walk away.  
But if you stop and wash the feet of someone who has been reject by the community because they have been labeled “Untouchable” then you just made all the difference in the world to that person.
If you touch a leprosy afflicted person, look them in the eye and say “Vannakam”, (hello) you very well could be saving their life.  It’s the human soul that changes people in India, and India changes the Human soul.
I can say I LOVE INDIA because I love who I am while I’m here.  This isn’t a place to come to be self centered.  It’s a place to come and be self giving.  
I find it ironic that a filthy place like India purges ugliness right out of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment