Monday, June 20, 2011

1st day at Rising Star



Today I traveled to the Rising Star Campus and experience my first day as a Volunteer.  The first part of the day was spent traveling in a van.  I understood a bit more of the culture by watching how they drive.  I noticed at the airport that both men and women do not know how to form a line and keep your place there.  Instead they swarm around what they need.  It seemed I was the only one waiting my turn.  At first I was a little put off by it.  It seemed rude when the men do it but hurt more when the women would step in front of me.
After experiencing my first taxi ride I decided it had nothing to do with me.  It’s just how things work here in India.  You get there in whatever shape that means.  The two lane (One Way) road is free space for motorcycle, bus, car, person or even COW!  A little “Beep, Beep!” goes a long way here.
The 2 hour bus ride to our Village was quite entertaining.
Upon arrival the volunteers had just enough time to get room assignments unload then meet for Oriention.  Here we meet all the Coordinators and each other.  My session consists of 35 people.  Once all the rules and regulations were explained I changed into my Indian clothes then we greeted the children.
The way we were introduced to the kids was like one huge recess.  We went to the play ground and they swarmed us!  This was the highlight of my day.  Not because I got to play with the kids (I didn’t really) but because I captured that first experience with my camera for everyone else.  I was in heaven taking pictures of the LOVE bursting from these smiling faces.  The boys climbed on the Men Volunteers while they played soccer. (sometimes 3 deep)  The girls played jumprope, clapping games and braided hair.  It was beautiful.  I took over 500 pictures today. LOVED it!  I get so much satisifaction through photography!  After about an hour of playing with the kids it was dinner time.  We eat on the roof of our Hostel on banana leafs!  I have no idea what I ate but it was good.
After dinner we went back to the kids and had Family time in small groups.  I found a little 9 year old reading Goldilocks and the three bears.  I laid on the cement floor next to her as she read the book out loud to me.  Her name was ABBY!
I ended my day in the bathroom taking a bucket shower and using “squater” toilets with little frogs accompanying me.
I can’t wait to wake up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment