Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tutor



I spent most of the morning tutoring the school kids today.  I love how happy and kind all the kids here at Rising Star are.  I have yet to meet a grumpy or mean child.
I read one on one with a hand full of kids aging between 6-10 years old.  They can all read English (that’s the language they speak during school) but the comprehension isn’t great with most of them.  I worked on helping them understand that the words mean something.  I found once they understood that they became more interested in reading.  Otherwise it’s just a bunch of words they have to say out loud.
I’m starting to recognize some of the girls.  I can’t remember their names though.  I get all confused when they change their clothes- that’s how I remember if I have played with them.  At school they all wear uniforms so I had to pay attention to their ear rings.
Mariyambee stole my heart today.  She is a special girl.  She was assigned to me this afternoon during math and I learned quickly this girl is not like the others.  She is so smart.  During Intermission she found me and grabbed my hand and lead me to a far off tree.  As we walked I learned Dani (My friend from home) is her sponsor!  I was so excited to hear that.
She was just as excited to know that Dani and I were friends.  We sat under the tree and she told me about her family.  She has great social skills too.  I love this girl. (Dani you are the perfect Sponsor for her!)
I ate lunch with the kids.  They sit on the floor and eat without utensils.  I thought about giving it a try but decided rice works better with a fork.  Maybe next time I'll try.  again, I have no idea what I ate for lunch but it was yummy.
The kids get a kick out of learning I have kids at home.  They say:  
"You are marriage?"
"Yes!"  I answer.
"How many babies?"
"Four!"
Their eyes get big and they repeat, "Four babies?!"




I forgot to mention yesterday that Becky Douglas is here too!  It's nice to see a familiar face.  She is a beautiful woman among the Indians.


The power goes out quite a bit here.  Today it has already gone out 5-6 times.  It's no big deal because the buildings are open and airy.  They defiantly don't rely on electricity for much here.  I am frustrated because the Internet doesn't work for most of us here.  A select few have their computers going but most of us can't log onto it.  I want to check my email!!  I know I have letter from my family.  (I'll post this as soon as it's working)


Well, it's my turn to cut up fruit for sinner tonight.  Mangos...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment