Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mormon's in India?



Can you believe there is a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in India?  I experienced a little bit of home.  
I  didn’t go to church as a “Mother” today.   I sat in sacrament without a child on my lap, or a large bag full of Sunday books and diapers. I can’t remember the last time I had a sunday like this.  Church is such a big part of my family...it was strange being there without them.    
I think it is wonderful to be on the other side of the world and be able to walk into my church and not have a “language barrier” so to speak.  The lesson they taught here in India is the exact same lesson my family will hear in Connecticut.  The  feeling I felt in Sacrament is the exact same feeling I get at home.  I love that God’s teaching is the same for everyone.  He loves these people just the same as my people.  What a gift!  I am so thankful for the Priesthood.  It was nice to partake of the sacrament today~ to have that moment to remember my Savior.  I feel his love, and I see his love in India.
We had a 2 hour drive to get there, so round trip 4 hours of traveling.  It was so nice to sing hymns and take the sacrament.
The church building was very plain.  Cement walls and chairs, appropriate considering where we most these people live.
The Relief Society room had a photo of Pres. Monson, the Hong Kong  Temple and the RS motto tacked to the chalk board.  Nothing else adorned the walls but the Spirit was felt, nonetheless.  Membership today, excluding Americans, was probably 25 people.
I enjoyed listening to the Indian’s perspective on the scriptures.  Very simple and basic.  As we talked about how we can use our talents to serve others their examples were: “Smiling and giving BIG hug.”   That is exactly what they have to offer as talents too.  It’s all about Loving others as Jesus loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment