Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hot! Hot!




India is HOT!  I thoroughly enjoy my bucket showers each night.  The water comes out of the pipes luke warm at best but it does the trick.  I get up early (compared to the Americans here but not the Indians) and go to the top of the roof to have my personal study time.  At this time of day the air feels perfect.  The sun is making her way up and it buys me time to enjoy the air.  From the rooftop I can see Indians from the neighboring Village working in the fields.  They have probably already put in half a days work.  I hear them in the trees talking quietly.  They are a quiet peaceful people. (so it appears)  I feel America is loud in so many ways.  A lot of distractions.  Where I am now is “REAL TIME!”
I wake up to the sun.  Sit and listen to the birds and hear noises here and there through the trees offering proof that I am not alone when otherwise I would assume I was.
I think the birds here are intrigued with me.  I think they are talking about me!  They squak and twerp obnoxiously until I look their way and then the fall silent...they must be talking about me! This early in the morning I walk slowly and quietly.  I DO NOT want to happen upon a snake or other animal.  I realize I am in their territory.  I’m avoiding the bathrooms for this very reason this morning.  The power was out when I woke up and being the first to walk into a dark lit room is just asking for it.  Last night a large frog fell victim to a bathroom murder.  The power was out and someone stepped on it.  I would rather not experience that.  I’ll give all the critters time to run and hide before I venture into the bathrooms.  
I don’t spend too much time directly in the sun but my body feels like I am sunburned.  I think it’s heat rash!  Who knew!  Feels a lot like a sunburn but no redness.  I’ve added a new routine to my day- apply deodorant breakfast, lunch, and dinner!  I’m considering an additional bucket shower mid-day.  Oh it is Heavenly!
At first I felt sorry for the Indians having to take bucket showers.  I’m only 3 days into this experience and I see what a wonderful  opportunity it is.  It’s the simple things that matter most.  A bucket of water is all you need!  The Lord makes India hot and then gives you bucket showers to savor the cool moment your not in sweltering heat.  It all makes sense to me now!  He also makes up for the heat by offering Mango trees.  They litter this place.  The kids start after school playtime outside eating Mangos.  They savor every juicy part of it.  
I don’t understand a lot of their culture but I LOVE that so much of it is modesty in women.  CULTURE SHOCK!  We dress in the Indian culture while we are here.  Even though it feels 800 degrees outside the women are ALWAYS covered!  
The morning sun is busy at work now.  The birds are quieting down, they must be in their cool hiding places.  I love a good morning sweat! :)
Photo:  This is a Rising Star employee.  She is washing our clothes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment